At the southern end of the Spianada, across the road from the Ionian Academy building, the white marble statue of Ioannis Kapoditrias, the first governor of independent Greece, sculpted by Leonidas Drossis, dominates the open view to the East, from the Old Fortress to the bay of Garitsa and, beyond, to the shores of mainland Greece. Kapodistrias was born in Corfu in 1776, the son of an aristocratic family, studied medicine in Italy, then followed a distinguished political and diplomatic career as special advisor on foreign affairs to the Tsar of Russia. From this position he took part during troubled times to most important European conferences and was recognized as Metternich’s successful adversary. He was the author of the Swiss Confederation’s first constitution and was named honorary Swiss citizen. He was called in 1827 to become the governor of the newly established Greek State after the liberation from four centuries of Turkish domination but, unfortunately, he was assassinated in October 1831 in the then capital of Nafplion, before he could establish all the necessary constitutional and administrative reformations he had started to implement.