The original San Giacomo monumental building was built in 1690, as the seat of a club for the aristocrats. In 1720 it was transformed with some additions to a theater for the garrison’s officers and hosted various plays and concerts. At the time it was considered to be one of the important theaters in Eastern Europe. In the beginning of the 20th century, the San Giacomo was brought back to its original monumental form to become Corfu’s Town Hall. At the same time a new Municipal Theatre was built, fulfilling the requirements and needs of the Corfiot society. It burned down during the 2ndWorld War bombardments, and was replaced on the same site in the 1950s by the present Municipal Theater.