The Mon Repos Palace was built in 1826, on a vast property at the seaward, Eastern side of the Kanoni peninsula, as a summer residence by the British High Commissioner, Sir Frederic Adam, a gift to his Corfiot wife. After 1865, it became the property of the Hellenic Royal family that spent their summer vacations there. In 1921, Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh, son of Prince Andreas, was born there and was christened by the Mayor of Corfu representing the Municipality. The whole estate is now the property of the Municipality of Corfu. The Palace is surrounded by beautiful, natural wooded gardens. Its grounds offer panoramic views to the Old Fortress, the Gulf of Corfu and the Epirus mainland. As it happens to lie on part of the town of Korkyra of classical times, some important ruins of temples and other public buildings are to be seen in the park.